Friday, February 12, 2010

A Human Pincushion


I have come to believe that our brain is like a 3 pound, mushy battery.  It is similar to a power generator for a New York City block.  It determines whether we are a colorful, blaring neon sign illuminating our surrounding area or whether we are a barely noticeable sign flickering dimly on and off.  Like a battery and thank goodness for me, I have found that the brain can be recharged.
One way in which I have done this is through acupuncture. Acupuncture has been practiced for 2,500 years. It is based on energy channels called meridians.  Qi or life energy flows through the body and between the skin’s surface and the internal organs along these meridians. Illness or pain occurs when the healthy flow of energy becomes imbalanced or blocked along these pathways.  Acupuncture facilitates health by restoring the natural flow of this energy.
Acupuncture has been medically proven to speed up healing, improve circulation and increase nerve growth.  Recent research is further validating this ancient art by showing that pain killing endorphins and important mood regulating transmitters are released throughout the body when points are stimulated. It is used to successfully treat allergies, depression, arthritis, back pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, infertility, insomnia, post polio syndrome, sciatica, smoking cessation, weight loss, and much more.
I started doing acupuncture about a year and half ago.  In the beginning, I did as much as three treatments a week.  Now, I am down to once a week.  The first time I did it, the difference in my perception was so great afterwards that the drive home was scary.  My perception - it was more than just my vision -  was so much sharper and clearer.  Edges were more defined and crisp.  It was like taking a camera lens and turning it to be more in focus.  Although, I did not even know it was out of focus before.
This makes sense, because vision is mostly in how the brain processes the input from the eyes.  In testing, my vision was normal– no worse, no better than before the brain injury.  Something was going on though, because, for instance, when I put the dog’s leash down in the leaves I could not pick it out of the collage of shapes and colors, but my Dad walked right up and could immediately spot it.
However, it was not only in my vision that I could tell a big difference.  It was as if I had taken smart pill and my whole brain had become more efficient and focused.  My thinking was much faster and clearer.  I also just felt revitalized and more alive and stronger.  
I do cranial acupuncture where needles are stuck in my head.  I have also had needles put almost every other place imaginable.  Well, almost.  When they were in my jaw joints, I had visions of Frankenstein.  They do not hurt, but I am aware of them when they go in usually.  The needles in my head are actually hooked up to a machine which sends electrical impulses into them to provide constant stimulation.  Amazingly, I do not glow in the dark yet.
Once I am all stuck and hooked up to my recharger, I just lie there trying really hard not to move for an hour and usually listen to music or educational cds and nap.  I have gotten really good at just ignoring the little urges to scratch my nose.
I also take a daily herb granular mixture and a liquid tincture that the acupuncturist mixes like a mad scientist just for me taking into account my brain injury and whatever else may be going on with my body and in my life at that time.  She looks at my tongue and reads several different pulses to determine what is needed in the supplements and treatment that day.
I have not done acupuncture in two weeks because my person has been out of town.  I am ready to be plugged up and recharged.

1 comment:

  1. With all that accupuncture you don't start spraying out water every time you have a drink from all the needle holes? Great article. Accupuncture is also a great way to heal one's organs from the toxic waster build up from long-term exposure to unresolved stress.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete